The Blog Farm

The Blog Farm

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Through The Eyes Of A Child

Through the Eyes Of A Child

What do you see 
I said to her
I see much sadness 
Of faces with tears,
The look in their eyes 
Shows so much pain
I see the terror 
Of all their fears.

What would you change, 
If ever you could
I would take away their pain 
And hold them tight
And give them hope, 
That they never had
Take away their fears 
From the darkness of night.

What do you feel 
I asked of her
I feel the presence 
Of danger close by,
The shivers of fear 
That makes them weep
I wish I could answer 
Their questions...why.

Why would you 
Take it upon yourself
To do these things, 
To set them right,
Because I know 
The pain they feel
I know of their sadness 
For which they can't fight

But how do you know 
These things I said
You were not there, 
You did not see,
In them I saw 
Myself, she said
Stuck in time, 
I can't get free.

Now that you see 
Through the eyes of a child
Can you stop the blame 
For yourself inside,
I've tried so hard 
To tell myself
The blame is not mine, 
 I needn't hide.

It's not your fault, 
I gently told her
Blame needs to be put 
On him instead,
I know you are right 
Is what she said
Dear God, I thank you 
As she bowed her head.

 Mary Graziano ©
Edited April 4, 2014
Artwork by my wonderful friend
Michal Madison ©
MichalMadisonArt.net/galleries.html






13 comments:

Laura said...

Never blame yourself for the cruelty of another ((((Mary))))

nippercatshome said...

thanks Anonymous Drifter..hugss to you..

Dr. Deb said...

Yes, it's not your fault. Great words to live by.

nippercatshome said...

Thanks Dr. Deb

nippercatshome said...

Thanks Dr. Deb

Dorothy said...

So full of the real life most of us know in one way or another..

Hope your feeling strong today...

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Jess said...

It's so goodthat you can vent in these poems.

Praying for you

Love,Jess

Tracy said...

I love this poem! It shows such growth Mary. Pain of the past is such a hard thing to get past, but we do not have to get over the pain alone.

Thank you for sharing. Hugs

Marj aka Thriver said...

This is an especially good poem, Mary. It is very moving. I've been writing a lot of poetry lately. ...and it reminds me of you. Thinking of you and wishing you much love an dpeace

Marj aka Thriver said...

Just stopping by to check in with you and say hello. I think of you often.

Dr. Deb said...

Popping in to say hi.

Marj aka Thriver said...

Thank you so much for allowing us to use this poem for The Blog Carnival Against Child Abuse. It's awesome!

Marie said...

Mary, with each poem you write you are one step closer to reclaiming your life. Bravo!!!